Let’s look back 15 years from now, mobile used to be a luxury that only premium class of people owned. Mobile market has changed drastically in away that nobody would have ever imagined. Now, mobiles have transformed their roles from luxury to necessity. The demand of the mobiles is not the only thing that got changed in the past decade, it has also reinstated the fact that nobody can survive in this rat race, if you are not producing the fastest yet economical phones in market. Some of the Cellphone pioneers like Nokia and Motorola, who brought the cellphones in the trend have been brutally wiped off by the contenders, whom they would have never counted as the contenders. Let’s go through the top five current giants of mobile phone industry in 2014:-
- Samsung – Samsung is holding the 1st position in the race. It has total market share of 29.3%. Samsung has attained this position by selling 72 million handsets during January-April Quarter. This company was nowhere to be found around 2005-06 in the mobile arena. The giant took smart move of targeting the market with a bottoms up approach. It started to slip lower end phones with high battery life and those phones delivered exactly what they promised in their advertisement. Once the trust was won, Samsung started to target the creamy layer phones, where the real profit settled. It dethroned Apple from its strong position by being persistence in delivering excellence consistently.
- Apple– The number 2 position is acquired by Apple. It has the 17.6% of the total market share. It sold 53 million phones in Jan-April quarter. This is the company, which is responsible for making phones a status statement, a fashion icon. Apple focuses on providing perfection in whatever it makes. The iPhone either does things perfectly or it doesn’t do at all. All the apple product carry similar traits. The case studies of success stories of IPod and iPhoneare taken as an exemplar for the MBA students.
- Huawei: – This Chinese alliance successfully sold 17 million phones globally in the last quarter. It currently grapples a 5.1 % of the cell phone market. It has better grip on the Asia pacific markets compared to the western ones. Huawei was nowhere in the charts of being the strong contestant in the mobile run but with its smart strategies many hearts have been won by this giant.
- LG: – is a slow and steady participant of this competition. It has been in the ring from quiet sometime, it never peaked high or seen the abyss inits life span in the mobile market. Currently, its clinching 4.9% percent of the market share, LG is holding its 4rth position in our list.
- HTC: -manufactures some of the best phones in the market and it’s a bold company that takes self-aware risks. It’s the world’s 5th largest phone maker that shipped 4.7 % of the total phones that were sold in the first quarter of 2014. HTC has tons of untapped potential but it sometimes follows a weak marketing plan out. They need to present their commodities well in the market. It’s mostly dominant on the European market compared to Asian and African geo zones.